Best ESG materiality reporting: What the Greater China and South East Asia judges are looking for
In last year’s awards, CLP Holdings took home the award for best ESG materiality reporting (large cap) in Greater China, while Kerry Properties won in the small to mid-cap category. In South East Asia, Thailand’s PTT Global Chemical took the large-cap gong, with Century Pacific Food from the Philippines taking the small to mid-cap title.
Professor Roy Ling, CEO & founder of FollowTrade and judge for the IR Magazine Awards South East Asia – 2021
‘Overall, I assess the strength of a nominee’s sustainability practices on how detailed and granular the factors are that nominees disclose, which are financially material to that company. The clearer and more crystallized the material factors are, the more confident I am that nominees with strong sustainability roadmaps offer prospects of better risk-adjusted returns over the long term.
‘Most nominees have used one or more of the major ESG frameworks as a reference guide, but what really stands out for me will be the nominee’s ability to demonstrate deep understanding of each sector and the company’s own ESG challenges and opportunities.
‘Some examples of ESG best practices nominees have undertaken include:
- Validating each set of metrics with internal research and stakeholder perspectives
- Sector-focused workshops with external industry specialists to expose stakeholders to issues on the ground and to enhance appreciation of the materiality of the factors considered and how they should be integrated
- Data acquired on material ESG metrics used in integrated reporting and analytics
- Organization of regular meetings by IR with company management to better understand how ESG issues are being managed and transmitting key ESG insights to stakeholders.
‘It is important to customize the material indicators to each nominee’s sector and specific circumstances, as a one-size-fits-all approach will dilute impact. This makes implementation challenging, particularly with regards to scale and comparison across sectors.’
This year, the as-yet undecided judging panel will choose the best in IR from across eight categories at each event:
- Best annual report
- Best crisis management
- Best ESG materiality reporting
- Best investor event
- Best IR during a corporate transaction
- Best IR website
- Best use of multimedia for IR
- Rising star.